A BRIEF HISTORY
Land in the Perth suburb of Karrinyup was first granted to Samuel Moore in the early 1840's. The property passed through many hands in the nineteenth century, until being acquired by W. Maley in 1909.
Another grant in the Karrinyup area was subdivided into sixth-of-an-acre lots by Charles Stoneman in 1904. Many of these blocks were sold over the next ten years; however, no roads were built and few houses constructed.
Development of a golf course began in the late 1920's on land previously owned by Maley. For many years, the Lake Karrinyup Country Club was the only significant development in the area.
Rapid growth in the Perth suburb of Karrinyup did not begin until 1957, when the 1904
subdivision was redesigned to allow extensive residential development.
Most of the houses in Karrinyup are relatively modern, though the prolonged period of development has resulted in a range of styles from various eras. Many of the homes within the suburb are of two storeys and the vast majority are of brick and tile construction.
The Lake Karrinyup Country Club is located to the north east of the suburb, while the Hamersley Golf Course is situated on the western border of Karrinyup. Numerous parks and reserves offer additional active and passive recreational facilities.
The Perth suburb of Karrinyup contains several
public and private primary schools, as well as Scarborough Senior High School and Saint Mary's Anglican Girls' School. The local population is also provided with a community centre and library
Golf Courses: Karrinyup contains two golf courses - the private Lake Karrinyup Country Club and the public Hamersley Golf Course.
From the Perth suburb of Karrinyup back to Perth Suburbs
Download free manuals to learn how